I don't really have too many new updates since the last journal entry, except to say that the Twin Tiers Comic Con was FANTASTIC (thank you to everyone who showed up and gave me their support, whether it was a kind word, your time, or buying a print). I'm so proud to have been a part of this convention and I will continue to table every year I am available to in the future! It is run by an amazingly dedicated team of fantastic individuals. I will still be tabling at Baltimore CC in September, attending NYCC for fun in October, and I have now added the New Jersey Comic Expo (is that its name? hm...) in November, right before Thanksgiving! Busy bee, busy bee... You can expect at least two more comic-related pieces from me in the near future and then it's going to be a lot more personal work and a push towards improving my craft!
Because I don't have much else to add, I'm going to fill out this questionnaire I've seen floating around:
How long have you been on DeviantArt?
- Well, DeviantArt says 9 years but some of that time was spent lurking in the shadows, admiring the art of others. I think that I have been posting art for the past 6 years, but mostly in the last few.
What does your username mean?
- My first username (Rai-Kay) was a shortening of my first and last name. My current user-name, and the one I anticipate will be my forever-name, is my first and middle name. Thank you parents for giving me such an awesome name
If you could instantly master a different art style, what would it be?
- Yo, I want to master oils. I love using them and I'm good at painting still-lifes and portraits, etc... but when it comes to painting something more fantastical, I have some work to do. But I've only attempted it once a couple years ago, so... I'm excited to finally use the easel I bought last year and try again! I would also like to learn how to draw comic sequentials.
How has a fellow deviant impacted your life?
- I don't think anyone in particular has impacted my life, but overall this website has been chock full of inspiration, wonderful talents, and great tutorials / journals / etc....
What is your favourite DeviantArt memory?
- A long time ago, before we were ever acquainted, an artist I really liked (Vinnie Tartamella) commented on one of my pieces out of nowhere! Now I can say that I both like him as an artist and a person. He's such a gem! And another favorite moment was when I made a comment on another artist's piece, whose work I also admired, and he sent me a note back saying that I had impacted him and inspired him to make positive changes in his work!